Worldwide Opportunities on Organic Farms, USA (WWOOF-USA®) is hiring WWOOF Ambassadors as part of a special project. A WWOOF-USA Ambassador is an individual who has a passion for sustainable agriculture and organic farming, a well-rounded knowledge of the worldwide WWOOF movement, and practical experience with WWOOF in the USA or abroad. The Ambassador will work as an independent consultant within her/his respective region to help further our mission of linking visitors with organic farmers, promoting an educational exchange, and building a global community conscious of ecological farming practices.
The Ambassador will be responsible for creating a regional farm visit plan, visiting those host farms, being a friendly representative of WWOOF, and verifying that each host meets the standard requirements for welcoming WWOOFers onto their property. Through farm visits, the Ambassador will also identify potential host contacts that would connect WWOOF members in a local WWOOF network.
To accomplish these goals, the Ambassador will:
- Create a regional farm visit plan, in collaboration with the Outreach Program Manager (OPM)
- Visit farms in designated region and verify that each meets the requirements to host (includes reviewing host guidelines, asking questions, touring property and housing, talking to any present WWOOFers, giving relevant feedback as needed)
- Take photos for the WWOOF-USA website and social media sites
- Film a short video answering one of the “#MyWWOOFStory” questions, featuring hosts and/or WWOOFers
- Explain role of Local Host Contact to each host and inquire about their interest
- Record and enter information and data from farm visit on website
- Help organize Local Host Contacts
- Experience WWOOFing and/or hosting
- Committed to the mission of WWOOF and passionate about sustainable agriculture
- Able to travel regionally to visit farms
- Excellent written and verbal communication
- Friendly demeanor and positive attitude
- Good at record keeping
- Capable of working independently
- Must currently live in the region to which you are applying, or relocate to that region to complete the work during the contracted time period.
- Must be able to commit to four months of work
- Will set own schedule, but should be prepared to commit 15-20 hours per week (or more) to the position during contracted time period
- Possess a valid US drivers’ license, vehicle for transportation and auto insurance
- Possess a phone with camera and/or a camera with video recording capabilities and computer
- Must be available to travel for multiple days/nights up to one week at a time for multiple periods during their contracted time, staying the night at host farms or finding their own accommodations
The WWOOF-USA Ambassador role is an independently contracted position. Working remotely, the Ambassador will determine a regional farm visit plan, visit a set number of farms in his/her region over a designated time period, and set their travel schedule accordingly.
The Ambassador will be compensated as follows:
- Per farm visit: $70 (includes planning period, farm visit, and data entry post-visit)
- Mileage and travel time will be reimbursed at $.70/mile
- Living stipend for multi-day trips: $50 per two consecutive days of farm visits
This is an excellent opportunity to be part of the WWOOF community and help us improve our membership services, while getting on-the-ground knowledge of organic farming and making connections with WWOOF hosts. We are very excited to offer this special project opportunity to passionate members of the WWOOF community.
- Choose the zone you are applying for (preference given to applicants that currently live in that zone).
- Note dates your zone is accepting applications – applications will only be accepted during these dates.
- Click on the zone to choose the specific local region that you wish to apply for.
- Follow application instructions – please note only applications that follow these instructions will be reviewed.
- Pacific Zone - Application period open February 15 – March 13, 2017
- Western Zone - Application period open March 15 – April 13, 2017
- Central Zone – Application period open April 14 – May 12, 21017
- Northeast Zone - Application period open May 15 – June 13, 2017
- Southeast Zone - Application period open June 12 – July 10, 2017
- Please note areas in gray are not being considered at this time
No phone calls please. Confirmation of receipt of your application and additional questions will be addressed by email.
To download this information as a PDF, click here.