UPDATE: All California Ambassador positions have been filled. Please check back in early Spring 2017 for nationwide positions.
WWOOF-USA® Ambassador Program
Worldwide Opportunities on Organic Farms, USA (WWOOF-USA®) is hiring four WWOOF Ambassadors in California as part of a new special project. A WWOOF-USA Ambassador is an individual who has a passion for sustainable agriculture and organic farming, a well-rounded knowledge of the worldwide WWOOF movement, and has practical experience with WWOOF in the USA or abroad. The Ambassador will work as an independent consultant within his/her respective region of California to help further our mission of linking visitors with organic farmers, promoting an educational exchange, and building a global community conscious of ecological farming practices. WWOOF-USA is testing the Ambassador program in California, with the goal of expanding the program nationwide in the future.
The Ambassador will be responsible for creating a regional farm visit plan, visiting those host farms, being a friendly representative of WWOOF, and verifying that each host meets the standard requirements for welcoming WWOOFers onto their property. Through farm visits, the Ambassador will also identify potential host contacts that would connect WWOOF members in a local WWOOF network.
To accomplish these goals, the Ambassador will:
- Create a regional farm visit plan, in collaboration with the Outreach Program Manager (OPM)
- Visit farms in designated region and verify that each meets the requirements to host (includes reviewing host guidelines, asking questions, touring property and housing, talking to any present WWOOFers, giving relevant feedback as needed)
- Take photos for the hosts’ online profile, WWOOF-USA website and social media sites
- Film a short video answering one of the “#MyWWOOFStory” questions, featuring Hosts and/or WWOOFers
- Explain role of Local Host Contact to each host and inquire about their interest
- Record and enter information and data from farm visit on website
- Help organize Local Host Contacts
- Committed to the mission of WWOOF and passionate about sustainable agriculture
- Excellent written and verbal communicator
- Friendly demeanor and positive attitude
- Good at record keeping
- Capable to work independently
- Ability to travel regionally to visit farms
- Possess a valid US drivers’ license, vehicle for transportation and auto insurance
- Possess a phone with camera and/or a camera with video recording capabilities and computer
- Experience WWOOFing and/or hosting
- Must be able to commit to two months of work
- Will set own schedule, but should be able to commit to 30 hours per week during contracted time period
- Attend annual Ambassador & Host gathering
The WWOOF-USA Ambassador role is an independently contracted position. Working remotely, the Ambassador will determine a regional farm visit plan, visit a set number of farms in his/her region of California over a designated two-month time period, and set their travel schedule accordingly.
The Ambassador will be compensated as follows:
- Per farm visit: $70 (includes planning period, farm visit, and data entry post-visit)
- Mileage and travel time will be reimbursed at $.70/mile
- Living stipend for multi-day trips: $50 per two consecutive days of farm visits
Must be able to commit to two months of work.
This is an excellent opportunity to be part of the WWOOF community and help us improve our membership services, while getting on-the-ground knowledge of organic farming and making connections with WWOOF hosts. We are very excited to offer this special project opportunity to passionate members of the WWOOF community.
Email cover letter, resume, and contact information for three references in one attached document to: Tori Degen, Outreach Program Manager, at email@example.com.
Please make sure to specify which region in California you are applying for: South (San Diego to Santa Barbara), Central (San Luis Obispo to San Jose), Bay Area, North (Northern Bay Area to Oregon border). Preference given to candidates that provide WWOOF references.
Open until filled, application review will begin October 24, 2016.
Must be available to start work mid-November.
No phone calls please. Confirmation of receipt of your application and additional questions will be addressed by email.
A downloadable pdf version of this information is also available: WWOOF-USA California Ambassador Project Description