Worldwide Opportunities on Organic Farms – USA (WWOOF-USA®) is hiring a Membership Program Manager (MPM), and is accepting applications now for a part-time salaried position. Please see the job description below. Application review and hiring will be done on a rolling basis.
WWOOF-USA® is a membership-based nonprofit organization. Our mission is to be part of a worldwide effort to link visitors with organic farmers, promote a cultural and educational exchange, and build a global community conscious of organic farming practices. To facilitate linking visitors (WWOOFers) with host farms, WWOOF-USA produces an online directory of organic farms, communities, and garden projects in the USA that can host WWOOFers, and provide room, board, and hands-on experience in organic agriculture and sustainable living. WWOOF-USA is part of an international network of WWOOF organizations, found in more than 100 countries, each run independently. WWOOF recently celebrated its 40th anniversary, and WWOOF-USA has been operating in the USA since 2001.
The primary functions of this position are to manage the WWOOF-USA membership services, communications and web needs in order to keep the organization operating smoothly and efficiently.
Key responsibilities include:
- Communicating with members to help ensure they have fulfilling experiences with WWOOF
- Responding to incoming membership requests and general inquiries in a helpful and timely way.
- Assisting members with registrations, tech and account support, refunds, and frequently asked questions over email and phone.
- Assisting with online directory and website management to meet WWOOF-USA standards.
- Managing WWOOF-USA’s comments, reviews, complaints, and other membership policies.
- Enforcing policies and resolving member conflicts as needed.
- Sharing participant feedback with relevant program within organization as appropriate.
- Collecting testimonials, stories and photos from member participants.
- Working independently on projects, with regular progress reports to ED, as time allows.
Regular reports are made to the Executive Director summarizing work and bringing up any new issues or incidents, along with suggestions and requests for improving the program. Weekly staff meetings are held to discuss important events and program overlap and assistance. Bi-monthly Membership Program Manager reports are made to the Board of Directors detailing membership levels, current and ongoing projects, and any issues that need board review or discussion.
To accomplish these goals, the MPM will:
- Receive and respond to emails and phone calls on a daily basis.
- Assist with registrations, such as completing sales over telephone or mail, and issuing refunds.
- Support members in profile maintenance, uploading photos, proper display of contact details, and monitoring content.
- Provide technical support to members.
- Coordinate and update Featured Farm list.
- Monitor online WWOOF-USA forums daily and respond to questions for admin, contribute as needed, and remove posts in violations of forum policy.
- Forward media inquiries to ED and respond as needed.
- Follow prescribed policy procedures, including for complaints, forums, contested reviews, and membership terms and conditions.
- Inform ED of any needs for new or adjusted policies.
- Inform Special Programs Manager (SMP) of any suggestions to make the online directory more user-friendly and report any concerns.
- Post approved reviews and review replies through website. Follow up on any problematic reviews as needed.
- Work with SPM as directed to search directory for disallowed content and contact hosts to request removing content.
- Provide customer support for website and test website as-needed.
- Communicate to ED and SPM any website or technical issues reported by a WWOOF-USA member. Make suggestions to continuously improve site, including edits to text and appearance.
- Coordinate Featured Farm or other current event posts with Outreach Program Manager on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter.
- Share information for newsletters, including membership activity, issues, frequently asked questions, events, etc to SPM.
- Monitor membership numbers and report to ED and board monthly, as well as record key performance indicators (KPIs) monthly.
- Look for other ways to brand WWOOF-USA.
- Visit host farms or attend outreach events, pending interest and need.
- Seek professional development in areas that increase performance of position responsibilities.
- Keep MPM handbook up-to-date.
- Attend weekly staff meetings and monthly board meetings. Present written and verbal reports at bi-monthly board meetings and at annual retreat.
- As time allows, take on projects to better the organization. Make suggestions for projects of interest.
- As needed, provide training for and/ or assist with covering out-of-office needs for other staff members.
Qualifications – Preferred
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant field
- Experience with non-profit organization and/or program management
- Experience WWOOFing, farming, and /or in the sustainable agriculture movement
- Willingness to be a public face for WWOOF-USA
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent customer service and interpersonal skills
- Experience using Drupal, PayPal Pro, MailChimp, or similar programs
- Experience managing and updating websites
- Knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Google suite
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail
- Highly motivated to take initiative and see projects through
- Ability to attend annual board retreat and outreach events several times per year
- Experience working independently and remotely
- Availability 4 hours per day, 5 days per week preferred
- Capable to work as part of a small team of four staff via phone, video, and in-person meetings
- Ability to work well with the public, farmers, WWOOFers, and a board of directors
This is a 20-hour per week salaried position with generous prorated retirement and health benefits that reports to the Executive Director. Salary is $28,000 – $30,750, DOE. Remote work required.
Email cover letter, resume, and contact information for three references in one attached document to:
Open until filled, applications will be reviews as they are received.
No phone calls please. Confirmation of receipt of your application and additional questions will be addressed by email.